“She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household…” (Proverbs 31:14-15 ESV)
Most Easy and Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
Today has been marvelously rainy. In case you didn’t know, we have had quite the drought here in Texas, so an all-day-rain is something that we have not experienced in a long time. With the cooler weather and the continual drizzle I have been craving Chicken and Dumplings. Since this will be the second time for me to put it on my menu plan, I decided to share this oh-so-delicious recipe with you today.
- 2 cans refrigerated biscuits. (Buttermilk are fine, but do not use the flaky or layered variety!)
- 1 huge can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 large box of Chicken Broth (Reduce as you see fit, depending on Slow Cooker size)
- 1/2 a bag of Baby Carrots
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Seasoning to Taste: Salt, pepper, Poultry Seasoning, Onion Powder, (your special seasoning here)
- Add all ingredients into a large slow cooker except for biscuits. Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to medium heat and add biscuits. If you are using the large variety biscuits tear each one into thirds before adding.
- Cook on medium for 3-4 hours stirring once every hour. When you stir, break up the biscuits and push them down into mixture (Don’t worry, they will always float back up to the top!).
- If, at the end of 3 hours the chicken breasts have not naturally begun to break into pieces, remove them (let them cook before handling) and either cut into bite sized pieces or shred with a fork (I prefer shredded). Return them to the crock pot and let simmer for a few minutes in all the delicious juices.
- Let cool before serving. Also, remove Bay Leaves before anyone mistakenly eats one (my husband definitely did the first time I made it…)
Photo from similar recipe.
The Hutto’s Dinner Menu
(October 9-15, 2011)
- Most Easy and Delicious Chicken and Dumplings
- Spaghetti and Garlic Bread
- Family Pizza Night!
What’s your family eating this week? Link up your menu plan below!
Join us in the Menu Planning Mayhem by linking up your menu below or sharing it in the comments! If you are joining the mayhem, be sure to snag a cute button to link back to the menu planning fun!